Monday, February 3, 2014

Monday February 3, 2014

Until Larry is well enough to start either blogging or dictating posts to me, this is all from my perspective.
-----------------------------------

Today I got up early to go in to try and catch the doctor on rounds, to get a bit of a game plan.  It didn't work - they were around very early today.  So, I left a note at the nurses station that I'd like to talk to the doctor. 
I also asked about my paperwork for Larry's insurance company, and was given it back.  I then put it down and promptly forgot about it.

I finally found Larry in the day room, and we chatted for a bit.  He wanted to head back to his room, so we did.  We sat there and chatted for a bit, and he told me that he actually took a few steps today in physiotherapy! WOOT! I found out a bit later it was about 6 feet...which is pretty dang good.  

L came in and was pretty surprised to see me, as I'm usually there later in the day. We then checked the paperwork, which was NOT filled out...and L was NOT happy.  He took it to the desk and asked if they could please fill it in.  We're not impatient, but it's been over a week already.  

After L left, Mike and a couple of Larry's coworkers came by.  It was also the time when he was having some therapy, so they went and got coffee while they waited.  It was a nice visit, and I tried to stay out of the way because I knew I'd be there all afternoon.

A bit later the doctor came by and I asked if they had any idea of what was going to happen.  I don't think they realized that, while I'm not a doctor, I'm not stupid either. LOL  Ah well.  Anyway, she explained to me that the rehab place won't take people until they're fairly ambulatory/self sufficient and while Larry is doing well, he's not quite there yet.  They're going to see how he does this week, and probably have them out Friday or early next week.  Fine by me! And of course, things can always change.  They won't let him go until he's stable and on blood thinners, which is not until Thursday.

They let me know that it was a pretty big area affected by the stroke, so it's going to take a lot of work and patience.  
It also means we're probably going to have to move. *sigh*   More on that as it happens.


Dr. Li came by as well, and told us that Larry had been transferred to his care. Fine by me :)  He also advised that Larry has something called "left side neglect". Basically that means he "forgets" he's got a left side, because of the stroke.  His eyes see things, but the brain doesn't quite register that they are there.  Think "forget me" spell :P

You can overcome that, and having things like the TV on the left side will help.







No comments:

Post a Comment