Today was a busy day :)
I went to the hospital about 12:30 today because I had to leave early for a massage in the evening. I did my usual watch the ground in case it moves walking in, and went to the elevators. I saw Dr. Li and he asked how Larry was doing, and then I looked behind him...and there were Larry and his dad!
I guess they had been downstairs getting some sun, and I missed them. :P we went back to the spot in the sun for a while, and chatted. I started working on Larry keeping his head up, because it's hard on the neck to be slumped over.
We went back up to the room about 1ish, and Larry needed to use the facilities, so the nurses took him to the "big washroom". Basically, it's got lots of bars and room for a wheelchair in it. While he was doing that, his physiotherapist Karen came up. We chatted a bit, and she let me know that Larry's strength is better this week than last week. YAY!
She then grabbed a set of pedals (think stationary bike) for Larry to try out. Once he got his feet onto the pedals, he did great! You could see he was using his left leg to propel them around...which is awesome! he did a few minutes of that, and then we just sat in the hall for a bit, because the Occupational Therapist was coming up.
She came by about 1:45ish, and we went to the physiotherapy room. She had Larry work with his left hand - starting with taking his right and feeling from the shoulder down to his hand. She then did "polishing" exercises. He put his left hand down, covered it with his right and then "polished" the table going around the outside of it. He also did exercises for moving things to his left, using his right hand. Finally, she worked on "core" exercises to help strengthen him for getting dressed, etc. She mentioned that he's got a bit of muscle movement in his left hand, which is encouraging. I'm hoping he gets at least partial use of it back. Okay, I'm hoping for full use...but partial will be okay too!
It was now after 3pm, and Larry was getting tired. We trundled back to his room, with only one wrong turn :) He did 99% of the navigating. Then he wanted to have a rest, so back to bed he went.
They actually had him sitting on the side of the bed! Woohoo Larry! You're getting there :D His progress has been pretty great, considering that Friday's seizure could have been a major setback.
No comments:
Post a Comment